Will the AV/EV revolution require entirely new testing technologies for automotive manufacture as well?
As AV & EV technology rapidly advances, automotive design engineers are having to re-think automotive design. “Out of the box” thinking – literally and figuratively – is the order of the day if automotive vehicles – trucks, passenger vehicles, buses , taxis and more – no longer have to think first and foremost of enabling a human driver to see and navigate the road.
The challenge is more for manufacturing engineers – How can the components used for AV components & EV vehicle designs be brought to market quickly and inexpensively?
Test Process and Solution
Leak testing EV & AV components quickly and accurately is enabled by using InterTech M1075 leak test technology, long perfected for assuring integrity of sealed packages. These superior instruments have unsurpassed test accuracies with optimal GR&R.
InterTech M1075 Leak Testers have proprietary leak test circuit designs incorporating patented mass flow solid state sensors at their core.
These sensors are tuned for the demanding requirements of IP67 rated products.
• Instruments are Ethernet IP capable
• On-board data logging & analysis helps meet current risk management requirements
• Barcode scanner interface capabilities assures product traceability
• An automated R&R Mode facilitates machine qualification and audit traceability
Manufacturers want instrumentation designed to manage all their functional testing requirements. For high volume leak and functional testing they want instrumentation that simplifies integration with in-house networks. This includes integration to Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES) and Enterprise Resource Planning Systems (ERP). Instrumentation must transfer data bi-directionally, quickly change parameters and offer full traceability.
The InterTech Approach
Instrumentation on the InterTech M-1075 line of leak detectors is fully Ethernet IP compatible for control of test cycles and transmission of test results to a PLC or a central server.
Providing seamless communication between test devices, InterTech instrumentation enables adjustment of test parameters that might rely on a prior test. Additionally, corporate data networks can be linked for real time analysis of test results and corrective action of a process without production downtime.
Software enables the end user Lean Manufacturing, Process Performance Improvement, and Cost Improvement business transformation initiatives.
ISO 16949 quality assurance requirements, for a wide range of automotive parts such as solenoid valves, involve rigorous functional tests for engineering development, audit testing and production line testing. These automotive parts do not require just one test to assure proper function, but several. For example, many oil control valves usually include more than a dozen tests such as coil resistance, flow vs current, hysteresis, and leakage.
In some cases, hydraulic testing, usually with oil, is the best-match method to handle the wide range of functional test specifications that must be measured to acceptable Gauge R&R. In others, simpler air test methods are preferable.
Knowing which test mode to choose – air or hydraulic – requires a deep understanding of test methods, production line realities, and other application requirements.
The InterTech Solution – Some Test Process Features
• Temperature controls for consistent viscosity.
• Audit testing to 150 DegC practical
• Circuit designs eliminate aeration problems.
• In-line filtration prevents test circuit contamination.
• Parts remain clean and dry
• Fast and accurate testing
• Lower capital investment and tooling cost
• All results in a more competitive ROI
• InterTech M1075 Functional Test Instrument provides real-time test graph results of functional tests and test results with accept or reject status.
• Modular design simplifies removal, replacement or addition of standard stations for maximum flexibility
• Testing software enables remote monitoring of all assembly and test operations in real time over a factory intranet or the Internet, with advanced process control systems.
• Modular design simplifies removal, replacement or addition of standard stations for maximum flexibility.